Support, Serve, Succeed: Webb-Calpey Interview

Juniors Mabry Webb and Jacob Calpey, candidates for 2021 Student Body President and Vice President, joined The Irish Worker Editors Ashton Bieri and Thanh Nguyen over Zoom on Sunday to discuss their campaign and platform. Their words have been edited for clarity and brevity.

Jump to a specific part of the interview:

Ashton Bieri: To start, could you briefly introduce yourselves?

Mabry Webb: I’m Mabry Webb, from Dallas, Texas, and I’m running for student body president. I’m a junior studying Science-Business and Spanish, with a minor in Latino Studies. I am currently serving as the co-president of Cavanaugh Hall. I also serve on the Junior Class Council, served on the Sophomore Class Council last year, and I’m also a member of the Junior Parents Weekend Planning Committee.

Jacob Calpey: I’m Jacob Calpey, born and raised in Orlando, Florida – I love my sunshine, hate my South Bend winters. I’m a junior majoring in Science-Business, with a minor in real estate; the Science-Business major is how Mabry and I know each other. I live in O’Neill Family Hall, where I’ve been the treasurer for the past two years, and am involved in Welcome Weekend and other aspects of the dorm; that’s where I really devoted my time and my service for the three years that I’ve been here.

AB: Which experiences and qualifications make you the best people to lead the student body?

MW: I think obviously that my Student Government experience is helpful – being a member of the Hall President’s Council as a hall co-president, and a member of the Class Councils – that has been helpful in that the experience teaches you the Student Government insider information, such as how to work in SAO360 and how administrative processes work, because there can be a learning curve to figure that out. As well as my experience working on JPW, which is one of those large-scale events that involves a lot of students, so that’s taught me more this past year.

My best experience comes from being a hall co-president: meeting with residents and making sure that their issues and needs are met. Something that I’ve learned over the past year is the importance of flexibility, because Carrie and I came in with big plans for what we were going to do as Hall Presidents, and traditions that we wanted to continue, but obvious issues came up with that from COVID.

So that was a good experience – it was definitely not what I signed up for, but it’s helped me learn the importance of being flexible, as well as learning how to interact with and support people. Another lesson I’ve learned is to not make people come to you and seek you out; we tried to have office hours and it came down to bribery (offering ice cream), and that wasn’t working well.

But then while hanging around the hall and just being myself – open to chat about anything, people would bring me issues in that regard. So I thought, guys c’mon, you should’ve brought that to office hours!, but that experience has helped me learn the importance of going out into the community, rather than making them bring you their needs; seeking out their needs to be able to serve them.

JC: My path is a little different; I haven’t done anything formally with Student Government (hopefully we will be soon). I’ve devoted a lot of my time and resources to my dorm community, as treasurer for the past two years in O’Neill. I was a Welcome Weekend ambassador, and then the Welcome Weekend captain this year; I’ve held a variety of other commissioner positions in addition to treasurer – I’ve been very invested in my dorm community. I even ran for hall president last year, but unfortunately lost; but even with that loss, I wanted to dive right back in to help my dorm community, and that speaks to my character – that even though I lost out to this other great ticket I wanted to jump back in and help him, because ultimately it comes down to serving O’Neill. And as treasurer, I’m in a position where I can serve my brothers and make O’Neill a better place; I’m absolutely going to put my time and effort into that.

Being outside of student government, I know there will be a learning curve, but I don’t think it’s going to be too steep, because I’ve followed along with student government. I know how it works – granted, I don’t know the innermost workings – but I’ve kept up to date through reading The Observer and trying to stay involved. Part of that has led to our platform of trying to make Student Government more transparent, but I have enough of an understanding that I can be effective and dangerous from day one. At the same time, being from outside of Student Government, I bring a lot of fresh ideas – a fresh perspective – and a very tangible way to positively impact the lives of students at Notre Dame, because all my work so far in government has been directly in the residence hall, and that experience will translate to other residence halls. As you know, the issues that plague one hall are issues that plague a lot of them. I’m excited for what the future holds, and what I think we can do, because I think we can be very effective stewards and create an even better Notre Dame for everyone.

Thanh Nguyen: Why did you decide to run for student body president and vice president?

MW: For me it comes from love for the Notre Dame community; Notre Dame wouldn’t be Notre Dame without its people, and the fact that some of the people that made that have made Notre Dame what it is for me haven’t had an equitable experience and haven’t necessarily felt a part of Notre Dame experience, that fact really frustrates me. Working to make that the best experience for every single one of my peers is important, as well as seeing the resilience of the student body over the past year and getting to lead my own community through this difficult time – that gave me the confidence that I think I needed to push me to be able to run for student body president, and to continue that kind of leadership for the student body.

JC: For me, it’s going to sound a lot like Mabry’s, starting off with a love for Notre Dame. I went to my first snowball fight this year – I somehow missed the memo freshman and sophomore year about the big snowball fight that happens when it finally snows – but I made it this year, and could see excitement behind everyone’s masks, seeing kids chucking snow at each other, and I thought then, that this is the epitome of the Notre Dame experience. You have a bunch of kids who don’t know each other, throwing snowballs at each other at midnight in this random place in Indiana, where no one should really want to be because the weather sucks. At the same time it made me think; everyone should have access to the experience that they want here. I want to serve everybody, and let them craft the experience that they want – whether that’s a snowball fight or not, but to give everybody the tools. You should be able to participate up and to the level that you feel comfortable in, and have the time of your life, like this should be the best four years of your life, and we want to make it that for everyone – not just a select few, and that’s really what I want to create for others, through service to the student population.

AB: Your campaign slogan is Support, Serve, Succeed. How does that guide your policies and how will it shape your leadership if you’re elected?

MW: Support, Serve, and Succeed embody the spirit of the reasons that led us to run, and those pillars shaped how we organized and wrote our platform. For support: there’s a bunch of different groups on campus that need different attention, and being able to support each of them; as well as embodying ideas of servant leadership to support the student body, and that’s where service comes in. We have Success as a part of our platform, in that we want to celebrate the things that make Notre Dame special, and work to fix the things that make Notre Dame not the best place for some people. Our platform is definitely out of love, out of all those things.; it comes from a place of love and a desire to serve our community.

JC: You hit it right on the nail; Support, Serve, and Succeed is pretty self-explanatory. We have the privilege of having a lot of things in life go our way – we’re fortunate in almost everything we do, but not everyone is that fortunate. We have the ability – through our ticket, through our campaign, through potentially being elected – to better facilitators and better stewards to these people that are less fortunate and can help make Notre Dame a better place. We want to serve everybody that we can possibly serve, and allow them to craft their perfect Notre Dame experience. Support goes along with the service too; they play into each other well, and we want to support the groups that need the most support. I think a great way of doing this allowing identity groups to be enumerated in the Constitution as special interest organizations, and that’s a great way to make sure we’re supporting them. Finally, for Succeed, as Mabry said, we want to celebrate everything that’s great about Notre Dame, celebrate changes that we’ve made to Notre Dame, and make changes that make student life better.

TN: How will you, in your roles as president and vice president, serve to be a liaison between the student body and administration?

MW: Something we’ve talked about during the campaign is that we don’t want to be venerated – that’s not the purpose, even with politics that isn’t the point – our purpose is to be able to serve the student body and to be that liaison; which is quite literally listed in the job description. It’s not about the LinkedIn connections or Instagram followers, but I think people sometimes get lost in that idea. For us it’s about being those people who can bring the voices of historically quieted groups to the higher tables that we would be sitting at. Something that we came up with was the idea having two-way office hours: where we’re available to come to groups in their own spaces, so that they feel more comfortable to voice their concerns and don’t feel outnumbered – having a way for them to be able to book us for their meetings, to hear their concerns.

We’ve heard many times from the groups that we’ve met with is that they don’t need student leadership to create programming on their behalf, and we completely understand – for example, Prism has Ally Week taken care of, and they’ve done that successfully in the past. But what they need from us is different: financial support – which is where enumerating identity groups in the Constitution comes in, because that allows them to get funding from the Financial Management Board – or having our own grant program for organizations to apply and get money set aside from our budget. In addition, making sure that we hear them and don’t speak for them; hearing their concerns, and bringing them to the administrative level without stepping over the plans that they’ve made.

JC: So the biggest thing I think for what I would say is – we are literally the liaisons between the student body and the administration; that’s at the core of being student body president vice-president, that’s what were there for, and the best way to do that is to listen and we’ve made that a huge point of our campaign and introducing a bunch of flexibility and that flexibility is a result of being able to to listen to students. We think we have fantastic ideas for changing Notre Dame, but that’s only two of us, out of 8500 students; if the student body doesn’t think our policies are the best idea, we’re ready and willing for change, and we have enough flexibility in our policy that we can change. So, to be that liaison between administration and the student body means to listen to the needs of students and relay that to the administration and also to fight the administration – over my three years here administration hasn’t always made the best decisions for the students. That’s something that we’re ready and willing to combat; but at the same time, when the administration makes a decision that isn’t understood by the students, we also have to help disseminate that information and allow students to be in the know.

AB: Going off of that, about how to represent the student body in the decisions that are made by campus leaders; the vice president serves as the co-chair of the student government of the Student Senate. Jacob, how do you feel that your perspective will work to make that more representative of the student body as a whole?

JC: I think that plays off my background well; I think a lot of our senators, not to use the phrase “career politicians”, but that’s kind of what they want to do, they want to be involved in politics, maybe they’re political science – and I wanted to be a political science major, that’s not my thing anymore – but their whole goal is to be in student government. I think that sometimes gets them lost, especially when you’re in those groups for so long and everybody starts to think the same way. For me, being so homegrown and grassroots from experience in the dorm, I feel that I’ll be able to relate well to the sentiments of the students. The way that rooms are arranged in O’Neill, I live next door to students from all grade levels, and I’ll be able to bring their sentiments to the Senate and make actual change because of that. Not to say that senators don’t have great ideas and won’t get caught up, but I think that because my perspective is different from the majority of the senators is an asset and is very beneficial for me, for our ticket, and for our presidency if we’re elected.

TN. How do you plan to improve the campus environment, with regards to gender relations and LGBTQ+ students?

MW: I think the biggest challenge for a lot of people at Notre Dame is the issue of gender relations.  Something that’s come up working with PrismND and the president, Matt Sahd, is that while they have a lot of their own events and programming covered, something that they need our help with is awareness. We’re prepared to help back them in their efforts, and something else we came upon in our platform was to create a task force with members of ResLife, Welcome weekend, HPC, and Prism to help mitigate the challenges of LGBTQ students in dorm life. Matt was speaking from his own experience in that a lot of times, LGBTQ students can get turned off from dorm life right off the bat from Welcome Weekend because it doesn’t always feel like the most welcoming environment, and some ideas that we came up with in regards to that task force is the implementation of an LGBTQ ambassador on the welcome weekend team, to be able to advocate for those students right off the bat, then through Hall Council, transitioning that into a commissioner role, to be able to have an advocate and an ally in that whole dorm life process, and how crazy that can feel. Whether that commissioner is someone to walk over to the Prism picnic together, or to point them to different resources.

We also talked to Matt about the creation of a more transparent policy of how the University handles transgender students. At present there’s a lot of backdoor methods – that the University makes you live in the dorm of your assigned gender at birth, but there are some more progressive rectors and that might give students a better dorm experience; but outlining a concrete policy and working with ResLife, so that students know what to expect coming into the dorms, or if they come out while on campus. I think those are our big priorities that we talked to Matt about; more generally, using the resources that are already in place – which are the hall presidents and the Welcome Weekend staff to make dorm life, which is such a huge part of Notre Dame, a more welcoming place for LGBTQ students.

JC: I feel like I’m an asset in that realm because I was a Welcome Weekend ambassador, Welcome Weekend captain and I’ve worked with the Welcome Weekend Steering Committee. I know Lauren Donahue as well, who’s in charge of that; I’m sure with some contact they would embrace idea in an instant – so that’s actual change we can make on day one, that instantly creates a more inclusive environment for LGBTQ students coming into the University. With HPC, it should be very easy to create a commissioner position that each hall would have; again that would create a more inclusive environment from day one, and then you have someone in your dorm advocating for you, you have someone you can turn to that’ll know resources and help you make me feel more comfortable. It’s these little changes that are easy to implement that can make an absolute world of a difference and we’re super excited to make that change. Again, it’s so simple – it doesn’t involve any capital expenditure, maybe a little training at most, but tangible results right off the bat making the dorms a more welcoming and inclusive place.

MW: A bigger project we’re planning is hiring more counselors at the UCC that are part of different marginalized groups, because no matter the training, if you don’t have that identity you’re not going to be able to relate to someone on that level. That’s definitely one of our bigger projects; we would have to start the conversation and it would take a longer time just because that is a bigger project. In addition, we want to continue the work on the nondiscrimination clause, because presently it’s difficult to bring in queer faculty or staff because they don’t have that protection under the nondiscrimination clause, but a more diverse hiring class would help make a more welcoming place for LGBTQ students because they would have those people as a mentor.

TN: Another population that’s often overlooked is students with disabilities. How will you support students struggling with physical or learning disabilities and promote overall mental health on campus?

MW: This is o one of the issues that was most important to us that we didn’t enumerate as well as we might have liked in our written platform. We’re excited to speak on this, especially since we are both good friends of the president of Access-ABLE and we’ve spent a lot of time meeting with her, hearing her ideas about these issues. An idea she brought to us is the inclusion of more training for faculty members regarding students with disabilities, specifically for more invisible disabilities because most people in the community have struggled with their invisible disabilities, especially regarding professors and having issues getting accommodations for class. Having language in their syllabi that are acknowledging that students do have disabilities and should talk to the professor about accommodations, is something that professors don’t realize can make a world of difference – making those students feel comfortable to ask for the accommodations that make the class more accessible to them. It’s not giving them a leg up, rather it’s creating an even playing field. As well as the inclusion of a disability section into either Moreau or BCND because as we know, there’s a lot of different issues that are covered in there, but there’s always room to improve; and many students at Notre Dame can be ableist without even realizing it, with certain language that they use, that they might not know are microaggressions or hadn’t considered it. Like Monica said, disability issues aren’t always the sexy social justice talking point, but they are an important issue that we look to bring to the table with us. I know there’s something drafted already but the mandatory inclusion of a section in syllabi about disabilities as well continuing work with Moreau, with faculty training, and with Sara Bea to promote overall awareness about accessibility issues at Notre Dame.

JC: We also think the University needs to be more cognizant of students with disabilities when it comes to their COVID planning and response for with people with physical disabilities. Someone like Monica – she can’t go through the normal flow in South Dining Hall because there’s no way for her to exit, so she has to come back out the front. That’s just something the University hasn’t considered. It’s pretty easy to install a ramp; that’s something they could do in a day that would aid students like her. I can’t imagine that she’s able to get into North Lodge or South Lodge since you have to go over the snow to get in. I think that’s just oversight on the University’s part, not being cognizant. In terms of mental disabilities and Sara Bea: the way that class is delivered now, during COVID, has put a lot of stress on students with mental disabilities and there needs to be more done to help grant them equity and make their learning environment fairer.

MW: Something we’ve gotten from  talking to Monica is that a lot of students are passionate about the issue of accessibility and recognize that need at Notre Dame, but once it get to an administrative level there’s less excitement, so I think using that excitement and garnering that student support is something that could be really important for us and help us to enact like new policies.

AB: The COVID-19 pandemic has impacted campus life and student health, with one in five undergraduate students infected since last August. What changes should be made to promote student success and the health of our communities?

MW: Yeah, absolutely. It’s really important for everyone to remember that we have responsibilities, not only to the Notre Dame community but also to the South Bend community, and we’re not here to take things from them. So we very much have a responsibility, and people tend to forget that when making more selfish decisions.

Starting with the Campus Compact and how you can only get evidence in for 24 hours, there’s 2 things with that – first off, they’re college students, there’s going to be mistakes made, and I don’t think that’s necessarily something that should necessarily jeopardize someone’s entire college career, although it should be different for people who are repeat offenders. Second, we need more transparency with the University and the data; something that still bothers me is there’s no count of the number of students in quarantine, as well as how the administration shapes policy and the recent email that came out. They don’t make it clear that if you have a Campus Compact violation, and mention it when talking to contact tracers, you’re not going to be held accountable for that, but people aren’t being entirely honest with them. The new spike is likely people making worse decisions but then the clubs are being held responsible for that.

In addition, it’s a very scary process – I got put into quarantine this week when my roommate tested positive, and there’s not even nurses in the facilities. That’s something really scary for me because I have bad asthma, and when I asked they just answered, we’ll take you somewhere else if you start to get really bad. If I hadn’t gone through this I wouldn’t have known what the process would be like, not that I’m thankful to have COVID but it’s allowed me to help speak for students who have gone through this. But there’s definitely something to be said for the transparency of the entire situation.

JC: I think transparency is huge, and that there’s a lot of disconnect between the various operational units which kind of gets us in a rough place. In terms of solving the COVID pandemic on campus and trying to lower numbers – I think it would probably be better, Mabry and I will discuss this more, it might be better to try and more fairly control spaces. Closing down spaces on campus doesn’t help anybody, because then people don’t have spaces to hang out with their friends, I think that’s like a big factor in pushing people to go out, and what’s causing a lot of cases on campus.

In terms of the Campus Compact, due process is something that we’re super high up on, that students should get due process. I believe the Compact is important in and of itself, that it’s trying to do the right thing – which is keep the students safe, keep the community safe and punish those who are not having the responsibility to others and keeping them safe. But it’s doing it in way harsher of a manner than it needs to be; then you have the extreme where people aren’t getting proper justice by only having 24 hours to respond and that’s not fair at all, people aren’t getting due process. But also because the consequences are so severe, they’re not enforcing the policy, they’re allowing people to get away with stuff because it’s either, hey you did something wrong, you’re expelled, or we’re just going to turn a blind eye so we don’t have to expel you; there needs to be this goldilocks range of recognizing negligence without going so far as expulsion. like Mabry is saying, you know, we’re 19, 20, 21, we’re going to make mistakes; that’s part of life. There needs to be a remedy that doesn’t involve expulsion but involves learning about your mistakes and being able to take up that responsibility and being a better steward to your community.

AB: Over the summer, we saw ongoing protests with the Black Lives Matter movement, following the death of George Floyd and too many others; this has a lot of people and institution reflecting on the role of racism in our society and how institutions perpetuate that racism. Could you speak on how your platform, and how your role in Student Government will facilitate that reflection and work to make structural changes in that regard?

MW: I think there’s a lot to be said for education, and there’s a lot of room for improvement in how Notre Dame approaches the subject of anti-racism, and approaches issues of discriminatory harassment. There’s a lot of things that Notre Dame does that helps to uphold the institution of white supremacy and a lot of changes that need to be made in our policy, and I think acknowledging that this is a problem that our university has is a huge first step, that we have so far refused to do, and I think that can come from a amendment to the Moreau education, amendment to BCND – but also listening to the voices of students, such as the demands of the BSA this summer and helping to again bring those voices to the table. I’m not a person of color, so that’s somewhere where I have to go look, find their voices and help to uplift them, and not think that because I am oppressed in other ways, that somehow I could be able to speak for them. Again, they know what they’re doing and they have their own ideas for solutions – so not trying to take that from them, but trying to bring them to the table so that their demands can be heard.

JC: Yep, you basically covered it. I think we have to acknowledge the problem that Notre Dame has with racism, and that problem is definitely there – we’re a 70% white institution, so that in itself can breed racism; so we just have to be vigilant, listen to our community, and really acknowledge that racism is present, and some people are unfortunately racist and we can’t allow this – our campus should have no room for racism. If students are going to get expelled for a COVID violation, why would you not get expelled for being racist? But to acknowledge the issue and education is a huge component – acknowledging the issue, focusing on education, and working towards stopping it in our community.

MW: MiNDful training and educating students about microaggressions; that’s really important because I don’t think there’s many students who are outwardly very racist – but a lot of students have implicit, inner biases that they grew up with in these environments, and they haven’t been exposed to different perspectives. Learning that like we are all inherently racist and have to unlearn those types of behaviors is a huge component that could be a part of the education we get and that could be addressing racism.

TN: What issue will be your first priority if you were to be elected to office?

MW: My first priority would be establishing a sexual assault response taskforce – that’s known to be best practice across different universities and Notre Dame isn’t up to par on. With that, we want to create a trauma-informed process because as much as you want to work to resolve sexual assault administratively, there is a lot of trauma and healing that comes from an instance of sexual assault, and creating the best environment for a survivor should be our number one priority. An idea in that regard is to create an option for an immediate recording, but not reporting, with Speak Up – to have a place to write down what happened but not necessarily submitting it immediately, to let that person heal and be ready to admit what happened to them and to bring that forward. That’s like best practice within like technologies like Callisto and JDoe, that we don’t have currently within our sexual assault reporting. In addition, creating a senior fellow position within each of the dorms – with the new incentive positions within the dorms from the new off-campus differentiation policy – I think that could be a great option, to have a senior fellow that was an SOS advocate, for helping guide people through the reporting and counseling process, and that can be through the St. Joseph County Family Justice Center. In addition, creating an open dialogue with NDPD about what they can do better, because from stories that I’ve heard from people with immediate reports, NDPD is not necessarily the best at delicately handling the situation, and that’s something a survivor needs because that’s a very fragile time. And then finally bringing a SANE (Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner) program to St. Liam’s, because currently they do not have the ability to collect evidence for a rape kit and going off-campus is an experience that can be scary and isn’t trauma-informed – having something closer to home would be helpful. Those are a lot of solutions that we’ve researched and are considered to be best practice, that we’re lacking in our own sexual assault response at Notre Dame.

JC: A priority for me is the health and wellness of the students at Notre Dame. Mental health is a big issue here, and there’s only so much a subscription to the Calm app can do. We have a variety of ways to tackle this, one of them being to address deficiencies at the UCC. Mabry and I have both used the UCC before, and they’re an awesome resource on campus. But I remember when I went to talk to counselors at the UCC: I had my initial orientation meeting and then they didn’t have availability for 2 weeks. So if I’m having an issue now, you know it’s best to try and resolve it as quickly as possible; I shouldn’t have to wait two weeks to get proper care. Expanding UCC resources to provide students with the care that they need, is an important priority for me. Obviously that’s more capital- and labor-intensive, so that’s going to be tougher to accomplish but is very important.

Going off that, making mental health a priority on campus, so that the administration really acknowledges how hard it is and works diligently to make positive change in order to assist students. The last two semesters have been rough on students, with no breaks, the way class is delivered, and all the stresses of living in this pandemic world. It’s taxing on your body and it definitely taxing on your mind, and we need to have ways that students can remain happy and healthy on campus.

AB: Is there any part of your platform that you’d like to bring up, that hasn’t come up during the interview or that you haven’t addressed as much as you’d like?

MW: There can be a disconnect between Notre Dame and the South Bend community, and it’s important to find a way to bridge that gap, and it’s definitely more difficult for students who don’t have transportation. My first two years here I worked at the Center for Social Concerns (CSC) and a program that I helped them with was the possibility of subsidizing a rideshare program to help students get off campus and do service, because the CSC does have a fleet of six vehicles, but there’s only limited availability (with 6 vehicles, and its not even possible this semester with COVID), but continuing that work with the CSC, and improve the availability. The CSC does have incredible community partners like La Casa de Amistad, Girls on the Run, different places in St. Joe’s County that the CSC works with. I think the Notre Dame community can make a really big impact, in volunteer work with those kinds of organizations, as well as responsibility to the South Bend community – be that spending our money there or acknowledging that they are part of Notre Dame, without taking so much from them as I feel that Notre Dame students often do.

JC: The other thing I’d like to mention is placing more emphasis on transparency and how much that that means to us. Especially for me, being an outsider who’s looking into student government, it’s a really important issue because I could see – over the course of three years outside of Student Government – how hard it is to get a look at the room, get a look at what’s going on. We want to create a platform that more easily disseminates information to the student body, and a great solution that we’ve come up with that is making one central area where students can go to get all the information they need: how money is being spent, how know funds are allocated, what bills are going through the Senate, what bills or resolutions are being brought up, things of that nature. A great solution we thought of is this: everybody has the ND mobile app, although not a lot of people use it, and there’s a section for Student Life. Under Student Life, why is there not a Student Government section, with all the relevant information that you need in one quick area – it’s such an easy solution, and that’s a theme of our entire policy, our entire campaign. We have feasibility, we have flexibility in our goals. Some of them are super lofty goals, but some of them are really feasible. but going back to the app – just having an area where students can get all the information they need about Student Government in one spot, will make it easy for students to stay informed, that’ll allow students to bring their needs to us, for us to take action on those issues and make tangible change.

You can view more about the Webb/Calpey platform on their Instagram page or website. Primary election day is Wednesday, February 24.

Related Posts